Elgoods Brewery

TimelineKey historical dates

 

  • 1714

    Mathew Gosling buys the north brink site including orchards, gardens and stables for a princely £120 and establishes a granary and oilmill.

  • 1786

    The premises is bought by Denis Herbert and John Cooch who convert the oilmill into a brewhouse.

  • 1795

    The brewery and four tied houses is acquired by Thomas Fawsett on Christmas Eve for £5624.

  • 1801

    Thomas Fawcett Junior sells the brewery to William Watson. The estate now numbers six pubs, including the Hare & Hounds, Wisbech and the Queen's Head, Emneth (both still owned today).

  • 1877

    After three quaters of a century in which ownership of the business changes four times, John Elgood and George Harrison step in with a near £40,000 purchase. By the time the tied estate now numbers 70 public houses, of which 21 are in Wisbech.

  • 1878

    The first brew of Elgood's is mashed on October 11th, as the company continues with John Elgood as sole owner.

  • 1905

    A limited company, Elgood & Sons, is formed with Horace Elgood - the third son of the late John Elgood - becoming Chairman.

  • 1933

    On Horace's death, his nephew Walter Stewart Elgood becomes Chairman and Managing Director.

  • 1968

    His only son Nigel Elgood dons the mantle, becoming the fourth generation of the family to oversee the business.

  • 2002

    Belinda Sutton, the eldest of Nigel's three daughters, takes over from him to become the first woman to become Managing Director of the family firm.

  • 2004

    Production Director Alan Pateman details recent improvements made to the historic North Brink Brewery.

    Fermenting Vessel 5
    This vessel was up-graded in April 2005

    New conditionaing tanks
    6 second hand tanks were purchased from a brewery in Germany, in excellent condition. These were modified and installed in our Tank Room in September 2005, replacing old ones which had given at least 50-60 years service!

  • 2005

    New Racking Cyclinder

    Our old copper racking cyclinder was renewed early in 2005, a modern stainless steel tank was purchased from Cameron's Brewery - in fact two ends, as the unit at Cameron's was 3 times bigger than ours! We welded the tank and installed it in the original post-war support frame. Nigel Elgood purchased it from the disposal sale of Morgan's Brewery in Kings Lynn (closed by the then Watney Empire). The new racking cyclinder is fully automated for beer level control and cleaning in place.

  • 2006

    Fermenting Vessel 4
    This vessel was re-built in stainless steel as FV5. The new vessel received its first brew by July 2005. We installed a second glycol chiller to enable our yeast storage chilling to be seperated from the main chilling duty. This will enable better chilling of yeast and will mean we can reduce the electrical duty of the existing chiller and circulating pumps.

 

AboutUs

Elgood’s Brewery is a family business established over 200 years ago and run by the Elgood family since 1878. You can find out more about our history here.

 

Today’s Chairman is Nigel Elgood, who ran the brewery as managing director from 1968 to 2002.

 

In that year he handed over the running of the business to the eldest of his three daughters Belinda, who continues as the managing director; while her two sisters Claire and Jennifer are directors. We are very proud of our family history and its association with Elgood’s Brewery.

 

Meetthe team



© 2017   Elgoods Brewery    Privacy Policy

Facebook  Twitter
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.